Thursday, April 3, 2014

"She Speaks."

NaPoWriMo Day 3
Today’s writing prompt is to write a poem based on a myth or deity from somewhere OTHER than Greece or Rome.  This one should be easy for a Druidess, right?

My deity of inspiration is Gitchimanitou, the spirit of Lake Superior.  I think of this spirit as female and similar to other goddesses and gods of the sea, she can be both tender and fierce.   For some time I associated her with the Celtic deity, Danu, but she is distinctively indigenous whenever I work with her.  She’s someone that changes with the seasons—a young maiden in spring who grows to a grandmother in winter.  She is my matron who guides my path and inspires my songs.  This poem attempts to capture that relationship.

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

 "she speaks"

She speaks with silvered tongue
Like a whispered dream
Guiding me to the sandy shore
To listen to wave and wind
While moon slips through midnight sky
Her voice like silk blesses this land
With fertile life and humble song
That washes over my soul
And clears my mind.
All that matters is this shining moment.
Heart racing, I stand
Arms raised …
Feet  planted …
And sing back to her the old songs

That honor this beauty she has shaped

No comments:

Post a Comment